Saturday 1 February 2014

Skincare 101: Soak Up the Knowledge of Caroline Hirons


Over the Christmas break I discovered Caroline Hirons and my skin is thanking me for it. If you're a beauty buff, you'll know exactly who I'm talking about. If you don't, get to know her. She's the straight-talking, no bullshit skincare ORACLE and with 17 years' experience in the beauty industry, this lady knows her stuff. You can learn more about her skincare philosophy over at her blog, carolinehirons.com, where she posts regular product reviews and useful 'cheat sheets' on a variety of skincare issues. You can also pick up some useful tips here in a recent interview she did with the Pixiwoo sisters  (these girls are make-up marvels) on their Body Talk Youtube channel. I really like the way she dismisses the concept of 'anti-ageing' and describes getting older as a privilege - wise words indeed.

Historically I've been really lazy with my skin. I'd frequently go to sleep in my make-up, I'd wash my face with shower gel, occasionally using an abrasive scrub to exfoliate, then I'd slap on some cheap moisturiser and be done with it. Now my thirties have hit, I'm taking more of an interest in keeping my skin at its best. In the words of Caroline, 'you've only got one face!' Below, I've summed up 10 key tips I've picked up from Caroline's blog:

1. Start your skincare regime on the inside by taking a regular fish oil supplement and drinking lots of water daily to ensure your skin is adequately hydrated.
2. Avoid products containing mineral oil at all costs. Mineral oil is a cheap substance that is derived from petroleum. When applied to the skin it forms a film, which does have a temporary smoothing effect, but ultimately makes absorption of active ingredients nigh on impossible. It is of no benefit to the skin whatsoever.
3. CLEANSE! Morning and night (twice at night if you've been wearing make-up and/or SPF during the day), using a non-mineral oil cleanser, obvs (sorry Eve Lom, you're out). No more sleeping with your make-up on. Ever.
4. Avoid foaming cleansers as they strip the skin. Although they tend to be marketed towards oily skin types, they actually have a counter-productive effect by over-stimulating the skin, causing it to produce even more oil. Gel or balm cleansers taken off with a wet flannel are much better.
5. Exfoliate in a liquid form. Use an exfoliating toner, rather than a scrub that contains abrasive kernals that can cause broken capillaries and over-stimulate the skin.
6. Apply eye cream before moisturiser so that it properly absorbs into your skin.  Putting it on afterwards, according to the Oracle, is like 'wearing knickers over your trousers.' Enough said.
7. Skin serums/oils are great no matter your skin type.
8. Use a separate moisturiser and SPF. According to Caroline, SPF is a dominant ingredient and if you use a moisturiser containing SPF, you won't be getting the best from your moisturiser.
9. If you would spend more on a handbag or a new pair of shoes than you would spend on your face, your priorities are wrong. Buy the best you can afford and if you can, have a few different products on rotation to mix up your routine depending on the changing needs of your skin. 
10. Last but not least (and my personal favourite), wipes are  strictly for 'fannies, festivals and flights.' Avoid! 

Who do you turn to for honest and useful skincare advice?

C
x


No comments:

Post a Comment