Sunday 28 July 2013

Lemon Chia Seed Muffins


I've always been a bit skeptical about baking without the usual wheat flour and butter. I never really believed that a gluten and wheat free cake would taste any good.  Today though, I proved myself wrong, thanks to a recipe I saw on a blog called Slim Palate, which is written by a very inspiring 17 year old. These Lemon Chia Seed Muffins are made with coconut flour instead of wheat flour and coconut oil instead of butter.  In fact, pretty much every ingredient has some kind of health benefit:

  • Coconut Flour - high fibre, gluten free, fairly high protein
  • Coconut Oil - eases digestion, supports immunity, boosts metabolism, strengthens skin tissue
  • Chia Seeds - richest source of plant-based omega-3 fats, high in fibre, high in protein, rich in calcium
  • Apple Cider Vinegar - aids digestion, aids detoxification
  • Almond Milk - cholesterol-free, lowers blood sugar levels
  • Lemons - antibacterial, anti-viral and immune-boosting properties
  • Honey - lower GI than sugar (ok, this one's stretching it - honey is still sugar! But a cake has to have some naughtiness!)

Although they don't taste exactly as a cupcake made with butter and wheat flour would, these were soft and fluffy and delicious nonetheless.  I think my only tweak for next time would be to reduce the amount of honey as they were  a  tiny bit too sweet for my taste. Overall though, I'm quite excited to have found a relatively guilt free way of having my cake and eating it! Recipe can be found here.

C
x

No comments:

Post a Comment